“Hortense” was named in honor of the artist and mother of Cal Tinkham, the steam enthusiast and railroad engineer who originally restored this engine.
- Original Operating Boiler Pressure: 150psi
- Current Operating Boiler Pressure: 150psi
- Boiler heating surface area: 136.5 square feet
- Current California OSHA boiler inspection
- Additional factory accessories: Boiler Jacket
- Original Equipment of note: Spark arrestor, fire box stoking tools.
- Custom Equipment of note: Custom built canopy by Greg Jones, Railroad Dynamo (36v 16a), Southern Pacific 6 chime whistle (on loan from Amtrak Brian Wilson)
The first unit in our steam power collection; we use this traction engine to power the larger kinetic art pieces at our shows, demonstrations, at arts festivals, and beyond. The Case can power kinetic art via the flywheel and belt drive, pulling and/or pushing a moving display, or through auxiliary steam lines providing direct steam pressure.
We are exceptionally lucky to have a wealth of documentation from the second owner, Cal Tinkham. He documented the purchase from the original owner, the process of its restoration and some scenes from the early 60s of Hortense in a few parades. The initial buffering time might be slow, but it’s worth it!